Recipe by katew
This is from a very old Women's Weekly Menu Planner - great served with soup !
Top Review by Andi of Longmeadow Farm
Yum, Kate! I saw JoyfulCook's review and photo, and I felt compelled to make this right away! I had just made some homemade French Onion soup, and this went perfectly with it! The only changes I made were this: I used the "Dough" button of my bread machine, to mix until the butter was crumbly, I stopped it, put in the rest of the ingredients, and let it knead the dough until smooth, (5 min) and then turned out. After the eggwash, I added some sesame seeds atop. DELISH! Thanks, Kate!
- 473.18 ml self raising flour
- 60 g butter
- 125 g tasty cheese
- 29.58 ml chopped chives
- 118.29 ml milk
- 118.29 ml water
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 4.92 ml garlic salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour and garlic salt into bowl.
- Rub in butter till looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add cheese and chives.
- Stir in enough milk and water to make a sticky dough.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface.
- Knead till smooth.
- Shape into 4 portions in a bread roll shape.
- Cut 3 slits across top.
- Place on greased oven tray.
- Brush top of rolls with egg yolk.
- Cook at 190 degrees celsius /375 degrees fahrenheit.
- Cook for 20 - 25 minutes till lightly browned and cooked through.