Recipe by wife2abadge
This even got a thumb's up from my bean-disliking husband. Leftovers freeze well.
Top Review by Debbb
This is pretty good - very similar taste to boston brown beans but with meat. I subbed low fat diced turkey sausage for the ham but followed the recipe otherwise. I think I would have preferred the vegetables to be even more tender. All in all, it was a hearty, healthy & easy recipe.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 8 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup low-fat ham, chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a large skillet with nonstick spray and place over med-high heat.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, and garlic and cook until tender, about 7 minutes.
- Rise chicken, pat dry, and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Add chicken to skillet and cook & stir until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and reduce heat to med-low.
- Cook five minutes, stirring occasionally.