Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Here's a quick, light and creamy soup that warm you on the coldest night. Add some hearty whole grain bread and a tossed salad to make a very satisfying meal.
- 4.92 ml olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 118.29 ml chopped onion
- 4.92 ml fresh sage, chopped (or 1t. ground dry sage)
- 2.46 ml salt
- 0.59 ml ground black pepper
- 709.77 ml fat-free chicken broth
- 680.38 g butternut squash (peeled, seeded, cubed)
- parmesan cheese (Garnish)
- Add oil, garlic and onion to large stockpot over medium heat.
- Saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add sage, salt, pepper, broth and squash.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes (or until squash has a tender consistency).
- Use stick blender to lightly puree, leaving some chunks, or puree half of the soup in a food processor or blender and return to pot.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese and more fresh sage (if desired).
Forgot to mention that I poked the whole squash with a few pricks and microwaved on high for 10 mins. until soft. Cut it in half, scooped out seeds and added cooked squash to pot. This saves lots of time peeling, etc.
This soup was delicious! It was quick after I peeled and cut up the squash, a process similar to peeling and cutting up a granite boulder. Next time, I am going to bake the squash in the oven until it is partially cooked and then peel it and dice it to add to the broth.
This was so simple to start with and I had to make it even easier. I peeled and seeded the butternut squash and threw it in the food processor!Then continue'd..After I pureed it in the blender, I tried one more thing...I added a little cream (1 tablespoon to the whole batch..only 50 calories and 5 grams of fat). It still will be low fat and low calories and rich, as if you are cheating.