Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Luscious blueberries are captured in this deliciously light and buttery coffee cake and topped with a crunchy strudel. Quick n' easy and a perfect ending to brunch, lunch, dinner or snack!
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter (softened)
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh blueberries or 1 1⁄2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- Sift all dry ingredients; set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar; beat in egg, milk, vanilla and add to dry ingredients.
- Mix with a fork gently (like a muffin batter); do not over mix.
- Grease an 8" square baking pan; add 1/2 of the batter.
- Add blueberries (if using frozen blueberries, thaw and drain liquid before incorporating into batter).
- Top with remaining batter.
- Sprinkle on topping.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and bake 35- 40 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool and dust with powdered sugar.
I had some issues with this recipe. The topping wasn't crumbly at all, it was kind of gooey. And while the cake baked, the "topping" settled in the bottom of the cake and was just gooey. I think it needs more flour or less butter or something. It wasn't really as sweet as I expected. It stuck to the pan even though I did spray the pan. It also took about 15 minutes longer to bake (I think the frozen blueberries made the whole thing cold, so it took longer to cook). The blueberries also sank to the bottom. It didn't specify using thawed frozen blueberries, maybe that would make a difference... I used used them straight from the freezer.
Thanks for a recipe that I'll use over and over again. I made it yesterday for the first time and loved it, and plan to make it again today. Easy to make, great topping, and cake isn't too dense. Thanks Gingerbee.
I love blueberries and this cake was good! The topping is the same one that I use on my apple crisp and it worked well with the blueberries. I will make it again!