Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I've been making these for a few weeks now and I can't seem to get enough of them! It comes together easily and it a great filling alternative to a loaded, fattening slice of regular pizza. Add whatever veggies you like to personalize this dish. I've always used a pita shell (unsplit) as the crust, but you could probably use a slice of toast or a toasted thin roll instead. I would not recommend using a tortilla because I don't think it would hold up.
- 1 pita bread, shell unsplit
- 4 slice tomatoes, thin
- 14.79-29.58 ml fat-free cottage cheese
- 0.25 ml basil
- 0.25 ml oregano
- 14.79-29.58 ml lowfat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat broiler of electric oven or toaster oven.
- If pita shell is hard, microwave for 10-15 seconds until it is pliable. Do not split it or it probably won't support the toppings.
- Slice tomato so you have 4 thin slices.
- Arrange slices on pita so that it is mostly covered.
- Spread cottage cheese over tomato slices.
- Sprinkle cottage cheese with basil and oregano.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over all.
- Top with any other veggies or toppings you wish.
- Place on broiler tray and broil about 6-8 inches from the heat until cheese is melted and starting to brown (about 7-10 minutes), watching carefully so it does not burn.
- If the tomato is still cool, you can microwave it for 10-20 seconds until it is heated through.
- I am not sure how to broil in a gas oven. I am sorry for the lack of directions on that method.