Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a dish I make often when I just need to throw a meal together quickly. It reminds me of the stuffed pasta shells my mother used to make when I was a kid but this is more of an 'unstuffed' version. Over the years I have adapted it to be reduced in fat and when possible I use wholewheat pasta shells. I have also made it with ground turkey in the past and that worked just as well. This is quick and easy comfort food for me.
- 3 cups medium pasta shells
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can 98% fat-free condensed mushroom soup
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup baby peas, from a can
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- Boil pasta according to packet instructions. Mine usually takes about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the oil in a pan and then fry the onions for about 3 minutes until they are just starting to soften.
- Add the ground beef and brown for about another 3 minutes until just about all of the pink is gone.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to cook until the beef has totally browned.
- Add the soup, garlic powder, basil, black pepper and parsley and stir to coat the meat mixture.
- Add the skim milk and cook over a low heat for about 3 minutes, stirring when needed, until the mixture has started to bubble and bit and thicken up.
- Stir in the peas and just heat through.
- By now the pasta should have finished cooking. Drain it and stir the cooked pasta and mix in with the sauce until all of the pasta is coated.
- Add in the shredded cheese and stir through until the cheese has melted.