Recipe by Bayhill
This is a quick dish I like to make when I need to get dinner on the table in a hurry. If you like a zestier ziti, use a hot Italian sausage. Note: cooking/prep time does not include time for cooking pasta.
Top Review by NorthwestGal
This was great, Bayhill. I've made dishes similar to this one, all with varying degrees of success. But the combination of ingredients in your recipe puts this at the top of the list. It's so easy to prepare too, and my sons have already asked that I make it again. So I know this will be a regular in my home. Made for your awesome win in the 2013 Football Pool.
- 453.59 g mild Italian sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 737.08 g jar pasta sauce with mushrooms
- 340.19 g package ziti pasta or 340.19 g package penne pasta, cooked and drained according to package directions
- 473.18 ml shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 118.29 ml fresh parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease a 9x13" baking dish; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage, onions, green pepper, and garlic over medium heat until sausage is browned; drain fat.
- Add pasta sauce and cook until mixture is hot, stirring occasionally. Add pasta to the sauce mixture and mix well. Stir in 1 cup of the Mozzarella cheese, mixing until well combined.
- Pour mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with remaining 1 cup Mozzarella cheese and the Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil.
- Bake at 350ºF for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes.