This is a quick dish I like to make when I need to get dinner on the table in a hurry. If you like a zestier ziti, use a hot Italian sausage. Note: cooking/prep time does not include time for cooking pasta.
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (26 ounce) jar pasta sauce with mushrooms
- 1 (12 ounce) package ziti pasta or 1 (12 ounce) package penne pasta, cooked and drained according to package directions
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease a 9x13" baking dish; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, cook sausage, onions, green pepper, and garlic over medium heat until sausage is browned; drain fat.
- Add pasta sauce and cook until mixture is hot, stirring occasionally. Add pasta to the sauce mixture and mix well. Stir in 1 cup of the Mozzarella cheese, mixing until well combined.
- Pour mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with remaining 1 cup Mozzarella cheese and the Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil.
- Bake at 350ºF for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes.