Recipe by Ms. Kilroy
Put a twist to your Saturday morning breakfast! I discovered this recipe accidentally while preparing brunch for my boyfriend... they are sooo yummy! I made a colourful plate for him and have a very happy boyfriend :-)
Top Review by Baby Kato
I'm sorry to say that these pancakes did not turn out well for me. They were heavy and dense, and the flavor was surprisingly bland. I did decrease that amount of baking powder and still found it overpowering. Made for Think Pink /09
- 1 1⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, crushed
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup fresh strawberries, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice and rind of
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- In a large bowl, beat egg till fluffy using a wisk or fork.
- Add vanilla bean and continue beating until the vanilla seeds visibly changes the colour of the egg. Remove remainder of vanilla bean.
- Little by little add milk, dry ingredients, and melted butter by the tablespoon while continuing mixing.
- Fold in the strawberries, lemon rind, and juice. Watch the batter turn purple.
- Heat a non-stick (teflon) pan on medium. (It is the right heat when you drop some water on the hot dry pan and see it "dance" for a few seconds before it evaporates.) Add 1-2 tablespoons of canola oil for frying each time.
- Use a disher style ice cream scoop, scoop pancake batter for frying. Turn over with wooden spoon when lumpy bubbles are all over the pancake.
- Serving suggestion: I topped mine with fresh strawberries, kiwi, mangoes, and chocolate syrup. Try also berry jam or ice cream, and finish with unsweetened tea or coffee.