Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a beautiful and delicious purple soup. It is adapted from a recipe found at ecometro.com.
- 1 (1 -1 1/2 lb) purple cabbage, cored and quartered
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) bag purple potatoes (if using larger potatoes, peel and cube into eighths)
- 6 cups chicken stock (use a light colored stock for best color) or 6 cups vegetable stock (use a light colored stock for best color)
- sour cream (to garnish)
- chives (to garnish)
- Melt butter in a stockpot over medium - low heat.
- Add onion and saute until tender, but not brown. Approx 10 minutes.
- Add cabbage and potato, stir 5 minutes allowing the cabbage to wilt.
- Add stock and bring mixture to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Puree with an immersion blender or blend in batches in a bar-top blender until smooth.
- Season with salt and white pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with sour cream/ creme fraiche and chives.