Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Gourmet Magazine, November 1997
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
- 1⁄4 cup well-shaken buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour or 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pitted dates (about 4 ounces)
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped walnuts (about 3 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 400°F and grease twelve 1/2-cup muffin cups.
- Melt butter and cool slightly.
- In a bowl whisk together butter, pumpkin, buttermilk, eggs, molasses, and vanilla.
- Into a large bowl sift together flours, baking powder, spices, salt, and baking soda and whisk in brown sugar.
- Make a well in center of flour mixture and add pumpkin mixture, stirring just until combined.
- Stir in dates and divide batter among cups.
- Sprinkle walnuts evenly over batter in each cup and bake muffins in middle of oven 20 to 25 minutes, or until puffed and a tester comes out clean.
- Cool muffins in cups 5 minutes and turn out onto a rack.
- Serve muffins warm or at room temperature.