Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Here's another treat my guy, Bunneh, adores. When I open the container near him, he goes ballistic. I mean CRAZY. It takes a bit of effort to keep him from forcefully nosing his way into the whole batch!
- 1⁄2 cup old-fashioned oatmeal, ground into coarse powder (rolled oats)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (plus extra for rolling dough)
- 1⁄2 cup canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling!)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup banana, ripe
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine dry ingredients in one bowl, wet in another.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet in 1/2 cup increments and blend with a hand mixer.
- Pull off a large chunk of dough, sprinkle with a little flour, and roll it out to 1/8-inch-thick on top of either a silicone baking mat (i.e. Silpat) or parchment paper. You're going to roll it so thinly that you won't be able to move it from the surface you've rolled it on, so one of these two items is really necessary.
- Score the rolled out dough with a large chef's knife to make 1-inch squares. You'll be able to more easily snap the cooked treats apart later.
- With a toothpick, poke a hole in the center of each square. This will help prevent the treats from puffing up too much.
- Transfer the silicone baking mat or parchment paper with the treats to a baking sheet for stability and bake for 20 minutes or until crispy.
- While you don’t want them burnt, you also don't want soft spots. Some of the treats in the center of the rolled out dough might need an extra few minutes. Alternately, you can let them dry further in the oven for an hour or so after you turn it off. Completely dried treats store better/longer!
- Cool treats completely, break apart, and store in an airtight container.
- Give no more than 1-2 treats daily and adore your appreciative bunny!