Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 6 hrs
with a crust of ginger snaps, this can also be made layered like an English Trifle in a glass or big bowl...
- 1 1⁄4-2 cups ground gingersnap cookies
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup softened butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups canned pumpkin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 envelope knox gelatin
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup triple sec or 1⁄2 cup Cointreau liqueur or 1⁄2 cup Grand Marnier
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream, whipped
- Mix ground ginger snap cookies with softened butter, more or less to taste. Add 1 TBS sugar.
- Press into a 9-inch pie pan and bake at 375 degrees for 8 minutes. MAke sure that the pie shell doesn't burn and try not to have it crack. Set aside to cool.
- In a heatproof bowl, mix the gelatin, 1/3 cup of the sugar, the salt and cinnamon and nutmeg and ginger. Stir in 1/4 cup water.
- Place the bowl over 2 inches or more of boiling water in a pot over medium-high heat.
- Add liqueur and stir constantly until the gelatin is dissolved and the mixture is slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
- Stir in pumpkin. Cool.
- Beat egg whites that are at room temperature until stiff but not dry. Gradually add remaining 1/3 cup of sugar and beat whites until very stiff and glossy.
- FOLD IN cooled gelatin mixture. FOLD IN the whipped cream.
- Turn into pie crust and chill until firm.
- Garnish with additional whipped cream and candied ginger.
- NOTE: you can just break up the ginger snap cookies and scoop the chilled pumpkin mousse in alternating lawyers in a pretty serving glass or a trifle bowl -- .