Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is my adaptation of a recipe a friend gave me. Use more or less milk and/or adjust spices and sugar to your taste. Makes 4 modest servings or 2 very hearty servings. My husband prefers much more sugar in his. Alternatively, you may bring to a rolling boil, then boil gently 10 minutes, reduce heat to low and simmer 30 or more minutes, or according to your oat package instructions & taste. Watch for boil over!
- 236.59 ml steel cut oats
- 236.59 ml low-fat milk
- 709.77 ml water
- 0.59 ml salt
- 1.87 ml cinnamon, divided (1/4 in with oats, 1/8 in with pumpkin)
- 0.59 ml ginger
- 0.29 ml nutmeg
- 0.25 ml clove
- 59.14 ml canned pumpkin puree
- 29.58 ml brown sugar
- Combine oats, milk, water, salt and 1/4 tsp cinnamon in a crock pot or slow cooker.
- Cook on low overnight or until thickened. If it still looks a bit watery, it will thicken more as it cools.
- Stir the remaining 1/8 tsp cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves into the pumpkin puree, then stir into oatmeal along with the brown sugar.
- Top with blueberries or other fruit, and additional brown sugar or cinnamon sugar if desired.
- Note: I'm not sure where my notes went (entered in "recipe description" in 'zaar) but this is the recipe as given to me. Definitely adjust spices & sugar to your taste. I use more than double the recommended spice amounts, and top with additional brown sugar!
Great starting point, just not sweet enough for my liking. I added double the pumpkin and spices, which upped the pumpkin flavor enough to make me quite happy. thanks for posting
I too found I needed a bit more brown sugar. It was still a bit bland but it makes a good starting point. I added extra pumpkin and about 3 times the spice load.