Recipe by Aimee88
This came from my Sweet Potato Custard (No Sugar), in a desire to make pumpkin pie with no sugar. Here in England, we don't really have access to tinned pumpkin, and I don't buy things in tins, so I make this with fresh pumpkin or squash. It's a tasty pie, or could be baked as a custard. I bake it with a grain-free crust, mixing ground almonds, egg yolk and a bit of honey. Preparation time does not include preparing a pie crust.
- 200 g dates
- 200 ml water
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 cups pumpkin (tinned, or steamed and processed)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 dash nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine dates and water in a small saucepan and warm over low heat until the dates have softened and most of the water has been absorbed. Press through a sieve, discarding the remaining dry, fibrous bits.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and molasses.
- Add the sieved dates, pumpkin, milk and spices.
- Bake in a baking dish or pie shell in a preheated oven at 325°F/170°C for 40-45 minutes, or until a knife inserted near the centre comes out clean.