Prep 1 hr
Cook 4 hrs
Pumpkin Pie recipe I created in 2000. Wasn't excited about any of the recipes I had or could find, so I made this one. Family and friends and the people at work love it. It takes a bit of time, but the flavor is well worth it.
- 8 -12 lbs pumpkin (You can use a Sugar Pumpkin or one left over from Halloween UNCARVED)
- 1 pie shell (Frozen or your favorite)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar or 1 cup golden brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons pumpkin spice (or 1/2 Tsp ground ginger 3/4 Tsp ground cinnamon 1/2 Tsp ground cloves 1/2 Tsp ground nutmeg 1/2 Tsp)
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk (Sweetened or unsweetened, your choice, I use unsweetened because this pie is rich already)
on the side
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut pumpkin top and bottom off, about 1 ½ to 2 inches from top or bottom.
- Cut pumpkin into 2-3 inch strips and remove seeds and first 1/8-inch layer of inner flesh.
- Place a sheet of aluminum foil on a cookie sheet and either lightly oil or spray with cooling spray.
- Lay pumpkin strips on foil, and season flesh side with a dash of salt and a pinch of sugar.
- Cook 30-40 minutes or until a fork inserted goes half way through pumpkin.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5-7 minutes.
- Cut pumpkin into cubes 1x1 inches, and remove skin.
- Heat cooking pot, 5 quart, and melt butter/margarine and 1 Tsp spice and sugar.
- Add pumpkin cubes and cook 15-20 minutes covered on medium-high heat.
- Stirring occasionally to reduce risk of burn.
- You want to lightly brown about half the cubes on one side.
- Put cubes back on cookie sheet with foil and place back in oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook 30-35 minutes, or until all cubes are a darker more pumpkin color orange.
- *The uncooked pumpkin flesh is a very pale orange almost white, cook until a color similar to the skin of a pumpkin* Remove from oven and place half of the cubes into a large mixing bowl and mash.
- Utilizing either a hand held potato masher or a hand held mixer, something to mash the pumpkin into a smooth paste.
- Add remainder and mash.
- I find it easier to use two bowls and do the mashing that way.
- In a separate bowl, mix the eggs and brown sugar together until smooth.
- Add spices and salt and mix well.
- Add flour and mix well.
- Add evaporated milk in 3 stages to get a get smooth mixture.
- Whisk until frothy.
- Some of the brown sugar may settle on the bottom, that's ok, it will get mixed later.
- Add the liquid to the pumpkin mash ½ cup at a time.
- Making sure to mix well before adding more.
- Mix til smooth.
- Pour mixture into pie shells and bake at 450 degrees Fahrenheit 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake 40-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Place foil around edges of piecrust to avoid burning, and remove last 20 minutes of baking time.
- Cool at room temperature about 4-5 hours and refrigerate over night for best flavor.