Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
An alternative to pumpkin pie.
- 1 cup butter, divided
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package spice cake mix or 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (15 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 (16 ounce) box powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350°; position oven rack in the middle of oven; spray the bottom only of a 13x9 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Melt ½ cup butter in a saucepan over low heat.
- In a bowl, beat the cake mix, melted butter, and 1 egg with an electric mixer set on medium speed until well blended (mixture will come together as a thick dough).
- Pat the dough evenly into prepared pan; set aside.
- Melt the remaining stick of butter in a small saucepan over low heat.
- In a bowl, beat the softened cream cheese and canned pumpkin with an electric mixer on medium speed until blended and smooth, scraping down the sides of bowl when needed.
- Add in the melted butter, remaining 3 eggs, and vanilla extract; blend until smooth.
- Add in the powdered sugar and pumpkin pie spice; blend until smooth.
- Spread pumpkin mixture over prepared crust; bake 42-45 minutes (do not overbake; bars should be slightly gooey).
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Cut into bars/squares; cover and store in refrigerator.
Wow, these steps are so easy to understand and I'm glad that you added that it would be a thick dough...I usually panic when I see that. Looking forward to making your dessert for my mom's very early calligraphy Christmas party. Where did you find this recipe, btw? UPDATE: I made them 1 1/2 days before the party and after completely cooled, I cut them and put them into a container, sealed. Mom too both to her party, but one was glass and she dropped it. So, they were left with 1/2 of them, but every bit of them were devoured. Thanks so much!
I made these today..great recipe. But I made a few changes to make it more diabetic friendly. I used a cake mix with splenda....Pillsbury Reduced Sugar Yellow Cake Mix. Instead of canned pumpkin, I used 3 baked and mashed sweet potatoes,...and instead of the box of powdered sugar, I used 1 cup of splenda baking mix. Turned out great and I am taking them to a get together tomorrow. Thanks for posting it.