I originally submitted this without trying it, as it was in response to a request. I finally got around to trying it last week, and realized there was a mistake, as the ingredients in the cake part should have read: 8 tablespoons butter, melted. Also, you can't "pour" the cake into the pan it has to be patted into the pan like a pie crust. Anyway, here is the revised version. I also cut down on the sugar, using about 12 ounces or 3/4 of the box. This is awesome-a Paula Deen classic!
- Preheat oven to 350.
- To make the cake: Combine all of the ingredients and mix well.
- Pat batter into a lightly greased 13x9-inch baking pan with hands into an even layer.
- Prepare filling.
- To make the filling: In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and pumpkin until smooth.
- Add the eggs, vanilla, and butter, and beat together.
- Next, add the powdered sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and mix well.
- Spread pumpkin mixture over cake batter and bake for 40 to 50 minutes.
- Make sure not to over bake as the center should be a little gooey.
- Serve with fresh whipped cream or cinnamon-flavored ice cream.