Recipe by Mirj
I've been in pumpkin mode lately, and this is one of my latest discoveries. You need ramekins for this, but I have also done this in a round Pyrex dish.
- 1 1⁄4 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄2 vanilla beans, split or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup solid pack pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bring the cream to boil in heavy saucepan.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the vanilla bean.
- Let stand 20 minutes, then discard the vanilla bean.
- Alternatively, add the vanilla extract to the whipping cream and set aside.
- Whisk together the yolks, 6 tablespoons sugar and nutmeg.
- Add the pumpkin and orange liqueur and mix until smooth.
- Whisk in the cream mixture.
- Divide custard among 6 1/2 cup ramekins.
- Arrange ramekins in heavy large baking pan.
- Add enough hot water to pan to come halfway up the sides of ramekins.
- Bake until sides are set but centers move slightly when shaken, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from water bath and cool.
- Refrigerate one hour.
- Preheat broiler.
- Sift brown sugar and cinnamon into a small bowl.
- Sprinkle over custards.
- Broil 8 inches from heat source until sugar begins to melt, watching carefully, about 30 seconds.
- Serve immediately.