Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
With the fall coming, why not treat your pooch with the flavors of the season....pumpkin!
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pie filling!)
- 1⁄4 cup liquid honey
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, honey, water, oil, egg and vanilla.
- Stir in flour, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda until well incorporated.
- In the bowl and using hands, knead until dough holds together. Transfer to lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 2 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a log. Flatten the logs to make about 4 inches wide. With a fork, poke holes all over the surface of the logs. Place about 4 inches apart on non-stick baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until firm. Place pan on a rack and let cool for 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 300°F
- With a sharp knife, cut each log into 1/4-inch thick slices. Place, cut side down, about 1/2 inch apart on baking sheets. Bake for 30 minutes longer or until hard.
- Transfer cookies to a rack and let cool completely. Store in a tightly sealed container for up to 30 days.
- Makes about 1 pound.