Prep 1 hr
Cook 12 mins
From Gooseberry Patch Old-Fashioned Country Cookies. Number of cookies made is an approximation.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup mashed cooked pumpkin
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Cream shortening and sugars together; add in pumpkin, egg, and vanilla--stir to mix well.
- Sift dry ingredients (flour-salt); add to creamed mixture; stir to blend well.
- Stir in nuts.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 10-12 minutes; cool on wire racks; frost when cool.
- To make frosting: In a saucepan, combine butter and sugar; bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir 1 minute or until slightly thickened; cool slightly.
- Add milk; beat until smooth.
- Stir in powdered sugar to make a spreading consistency.
- Spread on cooled cookies.
Delicious! The cookies by themselves are a little bland but the icing really knocks them out of the park! I have made these a couple of times and they are always a hit at fall parties.
These are AWESOME! I've experimented with the nuts...so far I've used hazelnuts and almonds. I like the hazelnuts best. I think pecans would be good too. My husband has requested that I make a platter for the guys at work and my kids love them too. Thanks!
Thanks for a cookie that's absolutely sinfully delicious. The cookies are so wonderful,I can barely taste the pumpkin in them.Great job.