Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Cooking Light November 2006
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 1⁄2 cups chopped yellow bell peppers (about 2 large)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped carrots (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon spanish smoked paprika
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 5 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can salt-free pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add bell pepper, carrot, and onion; cook 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add paprika and garlic; sauté 1 minute.
- Add 3 cups broth and black pepper; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Place one-third of vegetable mixture in a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl.
- Repeat procedure with remaining vegetable mixture.
- Return pureed vegetable mixture to Dutch oven; stir in remaining 2 cups broth and pumpkin. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat; stir in juice.
- Ladle 1 cup soup into each of 7 bowls; top each serving with about 1 teaspoon pumpkinseeds and about 1/2 teaspoon parsley.