Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This recipe is from the cookbook titled 'The Country Fair Cookbook', by Alison Boteler. This is one of my most favorite pulled pork recipes. As a matter of preference, I usually don't put the full amount of green pepper. I like to serve it atop cornmeal pancakes with a sprinkling of chopped green onion.
- 2 lbs pork shoulder, cut into large cubes
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped green peppers
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2⁄3 cup apple juice
- 8 large sandwich buns
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (170 degrees Celcius).
- Combine pork, onion and bell pepper in a 3-quart casserole.
- Blend brown sugar, mustard, chili powder, vinegar, liquid smoke, tomato paste and apple juice and pour over meat mixture.
- Cover and bake until meat is very tender and breaks apart, 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Shred meat with two forks and mix into sauce. Spoon into rolls and serve.