Recipe by 2Bleu
I adopted the biscuit bowl recipe from Paula Deen, but used our 'chili to beat all chili' recipe. It's not traditional with heat, but rather a sweet flavor to it that goes great alone or with the chili bowls.
Top Review by LilPinkieJ
I'm giving this a 4 because I loved the bowls. I wasn't very fond of the chili, I thought it a bit too sweet, even for a pulled pork. I LOVE the idea of the bowls with either chili or pulled pork. Not sure of them together. Made and Reviewed for Please Review My Recipe Tag - Thanks! :)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons dry ground mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 3 lbs pork shoulder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 64 ounces chili beans (Bushes)
- 2⁄3 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- cooking spray
- 4 cups biscuit mix (Bisquick)
- 1 1⁄3 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- flour, for dusting the work surface
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix rub ingredients together and rub all over pork roast. Pour olive oil into bottom of crock pot. Place roast into pot with onion, bell pepper, garlic, and bay leaves. slow cook about 4 hours.
- Discard bay leaves. Remove roast, chop up or 'pull' the pork apart using two forks to seperate the meat. Add pork back to pot along with the chili beans (including sauce), brown sugar, and honey. Slow cook an additional 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- TO MAKE BISCUITS: Preheat oven to 350°F Stir together the baking mix, milk, and cayenne. Shape into a ball. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead 3 or 4 times. Divide the ball into 6 pieces. Roll each piece into a 6-inch circle.
- Using an inverted jumbo muffin pan, spray cooking spray over every other muffin cup. Place a dough circle over the inverted greased cups. Press around the cup to form a bowl shape.
- Tap tops with flat surfaced item so they will stand up after baking (I use the cap of the spray can).Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until lightly browned. Let cool slightly.
- SERVE: Spoon some of the chili into each of the biscuit bowls. Top with cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream.