Prep 3 mins
Cook 3 mins
I couldn't believe this quick snack was not a part of Recipezaar yet!! I grew up loving this and now my kids enjoy it too. I like to vary the sprinkles to match the season. Wilton has some awesome festive sprinkles that I like to use. Adding the cocoa will produce a chocolate flavour and omitting it will give a caramel flavour.Cook and prep time doesn't include cool time.
- 59.14 ml butter or 59.14 ml margarine
- 177.44 ml corn syrup
- 236.59 ml brown sugar
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 4.92 ml cocoa (optional)
- 1892.72 ml puffed wheat cereal
- candy sprinkles
- Measure puffed wheat into a large bowl.
- Melt butter in a saucepan.
- Add syrup, sugar, cocoa.
- When mixture begins to boil, boil for 3 minutes and then remove from heat.
- Add vanilla.
- Pour over puffed wheat and mix well.
- Press into a 9X12 inch cake pan.
- scatter sprinkles while still warm and pat down to be sure they will stick.
- Cool completely.
I've been making this recipe for years. Always a kid pleaser. Thanks for posting.
DH loves Puffed Wheat Cake, so this was an automatic hit in our house. Although a do agree that 1 tsp. is not enough cocoa. I added 2 heaping tbsp. This was a nice soft and chewy square and will be made often.
I wanted to use up some puffed millet, so I made a half a batch. 1 heaping teaspoon of cocoa to the half batch made a nice subtle flavor. I used sugar syrup leftover from another recipe in place of the corn syrup. They stuck together "loosely" but well enough to enjoy.