Prep 30 mins
Cook 24 hrs
I got this a long time ago from the Publix Mayonnaise label. I think it is the same one they used to have in the deli there. This is great to take for potlucks, new moms, or grieving familes. I often double it. This is more of a salad to eat on a bed of greens and not so much to put onto a sandwich although I have put it into a pita before. Preparation time does not include cooking the chicken or carrots. Cooking time is the chilling time.
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1⁄8 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon minced garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, steamed and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Cook chicken however desired (I often poach in my steamer or bake). Cool and cut into large (about 1") cubes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine salt, basil, dill, lemon juice, white pepper, garlic and parsley with mayonnaise. Mix throughly.
- Stir celery, carrots, onion and chicken into mayonnaise mixture. Mix well.
- Cover and chill overnight or at least several hours before serving.
Never had Publix chicken salad but I think I've tried at least 60% of all the chicken salad recipes in the USA. I adore chicken salad. If it's on a menu somewhere, I'm gonna have to try it. And I make some type of chicken salad several times a month here at home. So, believe me when I say this is a really GOOD one! I did do as another reviewer mentioned and steamed the carrots briefly, otherwise, followed the recipe to the letter! This is going in my Special Recipe File and we'll have it often. Thanks for posting it!
Once my husband and I moved from FL, he missed the dill chicken salad from Publix so much. I finally searched the web and found this recipe! My husband says it's exactly the same as the Publix one. It is so delicious! I steam the carrots a little just to give it a little more flavor. Yum!
This is a great chicken salad! I especially loved the dill in the dressing, it gave a really great flavor. I used leftover grilled chicken and did not add the onions as I don't care for them. Enjoyed this for a great light lunch - thanks for sharing the recipe!