Top Review by Dreamer in Ontario
Excellent soup! Even DD loved it. I made it almost as written. I didn't have enough carrots so added frozen mixed veggies. I couldn't find French haricots vert so used frozen whole green beans. I served it with Recipe#192320.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts
- 3 cups unpeeled boiling potatoes, 1/2 inch diced
- 3 cups diced carrots
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh pepper
- 3 quarts chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 1⁄2 lb French haricots vert, cut in half
- 4 ounces spaghetti, broken in pieces
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- heat the olive oil in a large stockpot, add the onions, and sauté over low heat for 10 min or till the onions are translucent.
- Add the leeks, potatoes, carrots, salt and pepper and sauté over med heat for another 5 minutes add the chicken stock and saffron, bring to a boil then simmer uncovered for 30 min or till all the vegetables are tender. Add the haricots verts and spaghetti, bring to a simmer and cook for 15 more minutes.
- To serve whisk ¼ cup of the pistou (see note above) into the hot soup, then season to taste.
- Depending on the saltiness of your chicken stock, you may need to add up to another T of salt.
- Serve with parmesan and more pistou.