Recipe by threeovens
This recipe comes from Ellie Krieger who's claim to fame is that she likes to healthify comfort foods. In this recipe, the soft center of the bread of the bread is removed which cuts calories and carbs.
- 12 ounces whole wheat baguette (18 inches long) or 1 Italian bread (18 inches long)
- 3 tablespoons basil pesto
- 8 slices prosciutto, sliced thin (about 3 oz)
- 1 cup arugula (chopped) or 1 cup baby arugula, lightly packed
- 1⁄2 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- Slice bread in half, then cut both halves, crosswise into 6 equal portions; scoop out the soft center of the bread and reserve for another use (like croutons).
- Spread cut sides with the pesto.
- Build 6 sandwiches by layering the bottoms with equal amounts of the prosciutto, arugula, and mozzarella; replace tops of the sandwiches.
- Heat a grill pan or panini press over medium-high heat; spray outsides with the cooking spray.
- Cook sandwiches, in batches, weighting with a cast iron press or skillet, to melt cheese and toast bread, about 3 minutes per side.
- Cut in half to serve.