1/3 Photos of Princess Diana's Birthday Cake
This recipe appeared in the February 1988 issue of Woman's Day magazine and was reprinted in our local paper today. According to the article, "Diana had a special fondness for this cake because it was served at her childhood birthday parties." The baked layers can be wrapped and refrigerated up to three days or frozen up to three months. Unwrap and bring to room temperature before assembling. Completed cake can be refrigerated up to four hours before serving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the cake
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, mixed with
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
For the filling
- 1Preheat oven to 350F.
- 2To make cake: Grease bottom and sides of two 8- or 9-inch round layer-cake pans.
- 3Line bottoms with parchment or waxed paper; grease paper.
- 4Add granulated sugar to each pan, tilt to coat bottom and sides; shake out excess.
- 5Beat eggs in a large bowl with electric mixer on high speed until pale, about 1 minute.
- 6Gradually add the 1 1/2 cups sugar, beating about 2 minutes (or more, as needed) until mixture is thick, tripled in volume and forms a slowly dissolving ribbon when beaters are lifted.
- 7Working quickly, stir in water and vanilla.
- 8Fold in flour mixture just until completely blended.
- 9Pour into prepared pans.
- 10Bake 30 to 35 minutes until tops are lightly browned and toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- 11Cool in pans on rack 10 minutes.
- 12Run thin-bladed knife between sides of pans and cakes to loosen.
- 13Invert pans on rack; peel off paper and cool completely.
- 14To make filling: Beat cream and vanilla in a large bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted.
- 15Gradually beat in sugar until cream is of spreading consistency.
- 16To assemble: Slice each layer in half horizontally, using a long serrated knife.
- 17Place one layer on serving plate, spread with 1 cup whipped cream, top with one-third of the sliced berries.
- 18Repeat with two more layers.
- 19Place remaining layer on top; spread remaining cream over sides and top.
- 20Garnish with reserved berries.
- 21Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Princess Diana's Birthday Cake
Serving Size: 1 (229 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 454.3
- Calories from Fat 224
- Total Fat 24.9 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 187.2 mg
- Sodium 74.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 37.9 g
- Protein 6.4 g