Recipe by kimberly.hume
I have never made this recipe. I found this handwritten, crumbling paper while helping my mother clean out her place. I'm transcribing it here. It's probably from the mid-40's to mid-50's Let me know!
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs, unbeaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Measure shortening into mixing bowl.
- Measure flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a strainer/sifter.
- Sift flour mixture into shortening.
- Add about 3/4 of the milk.
- Beat 300 strokes.
- Add egg, vanilla, and remainder of milk.
- Beat 150 strokes.
- Pour into greased cake pan.
- Bake at 375º F for 20 - 25 minutes.
- Remove and let cool before frosting.