Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Sweet summertime in a jar. A delicious and unusual way to use up any extra pears you may have. From the US Regional Cookbook, Chicago Culinary Arts Institute, 1947. While this recipe is written in an old-fashioned way, it is perfectly safe if processed using modern methods. If you are unfamiliar with these techniques, please go to http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_home.html for the current information.
- 7 cups sugar
- 4 cups water
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces crystallized ginger, chopped
- 4 lbs pears, thinly sliced
- Make a syrup of the sugar and water.
- Add lemon, ginger and pears.
- Simmer for approximately one hour.
- Pour into jelly glasses and seal.