Prep 10 mins
Cook 72 hrs
From the October 08 issue of Vegetarian Times. I have posted this to go with my recipe Tofu with Olives and Preserved Lemons, but of course use it however you want. If you do try it, please say what you used it in or how you ate it. This recipe is untried by me so far, but I'll update when I have made it.
- 5 organic lemons, washed and dried
- 2⁄3 cup salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 5 whole cardamom pods
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 -2 dried chili
- Stand each lemon on end and slice vertically into 4 wedges, but leave the base of the lemon uncut.
- Fill each lemon lemon with 1 Tbsp salt, and place in 1-qt jar with a lid.
- Cover lemons with 2 cups boiling water. Add remaining salt, lemon juice, cardamom pods, bay leaf, and chiles.
- Seal jar tightly, shake to mix, and store 3 days to 1 month before using.
I LOVE these flavors! Thank you so much for sharing this great recipe. I used the lemons in Recipe #59128 and will look for more recipes for these tasty preserved lemons.