Recipe by Mirj
Something really yummy from Cooking Light. This is well worth the effort.
Top Review by Gay Gilmore
Ok, this is a bit unfair. We made 3 different pies for Thanksgiving and this was the lowest calorie (see also #45970 & 72390). Everyone said this was a delicious compromise of pecan and pumpkin, but the lower calories showed in comparison. If we'd only made three of this pie, it would have been more loved. I LOVE the topping idea in this recipe. It really makes the whole pie. Presumably you wouldn't need whipped cream with a topping like this, but who would deny themselves... not me.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons ice water
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- cooking spray
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons Bourbon
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons maple syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine 1/4 cup flour and ice water; stir with a whisk until well-blended.
- Set aside.
- Combine 3/4 cup flour, granulated sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl; cut in shortening with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add ice-water mixture; mix with a fork until flour mixture is moist.
- Gently press mixture into a 4-inch circle on heavy-duty plastic wrap; cover with additional plastic wrap.
- Roll dough, still covered, into an 11-inch circle; chill 10 minutes or until plastic wrap can be easily removed.
- Remove 1 sheet of plastic wrap.
- Fit dough into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray; remove top sheet of plastic wrap.
- Fold edges of dough under; flute.
- Pierce bottom and sides with a fork.
- Place a 10-inch square of foil over dough.
- Place pie weights evenly over foil.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 5 minutes; cool on a wire rack.
- Remove foil and pie weights.
- Combine pumpkin and next 12 ingredients; stir well with a whisk.
- Pour into crust.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes; shield edges of crust with foil after 30 minutes.
- Combine nuts, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 1 1/2 teaspoons syrup.
- Sprinkle over pie; bake an additional 15 minutes or until filling is set.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.