1/1 Photo of Powda Bon (Powder Bun)
Adapted from several online recipes: namely 'Flavors of Belize' cookbook and belmopancityonlin.com. Vegan friendly. For the record: I used half unbleached cane sugar and half demerara. If at all possible, please use *freshly* grated nutmeg. My Belizean friend described these buns "like English scones."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 473.18 ml unbleached flour
- 7.39 ml baking powder
- 0.25 ml salt
- 78.07 ml brown sugar (regular brown sugar, raw, demerara, muscovado, turbinado)
- 78.07 ml unbleached cane sugar
- 2.46 ml freshly grated nutmeg
- 29.58 ml butter (I used a combination of butter and coconut oil but original recipe specified shortening) or 29.58 ml coconut oil (I used a combination of butter and coconut oil but original recipe specified shortening)
- 118.29 ml coconut milk (can use regular milk)
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 59.14 ml raisins (we subbed dried cranberries because someone in our household does not like raisins)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In a large mixing bowl sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- 3Stir in both sugars and nutmeg.
- 4Cut in the butter/shortening and/or coconut oil.
- 5Combine the coconut milk and vanilla and stir in the bowl with the flour *just* until moistened. DO NOT overmix the batter! Stir in the raisins.
- 6Roll into equal size balls and [slightly] flatten.
- 7Arrange on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake about 20 minutes or until golden brown. We liked our powda bons with a drizzle of agave.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Powda Bon (Powder Bun)
Serving Size: 1 (579 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 192.3
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 5.0 mg
- Sodium 82.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 19.7 g
- Protein 2.4 g