Recipe by Stacky5
This is a French Canadian recipe from Quebec. It is a feather light dessert. Original recipe yield: 1 fluted 2 quart ring mold. Recipe courtesy of Allrecipes. Posted for Zaar World Tour II.
- 2 1⁄4 cups pastry flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons cognac
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 tablespoon cognac
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease thoroughly a fluted 2 quart ring mold, and dust lightly with flour.
- Sift pastry flour, salt, and baking powder together.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening well. Gradually blend in 1 1/2 cups sugar, eggs, vanilla, and 3 tablespoons cognac; beat until light and fluffy.
- Gently blend sifted ingredients alternately with the milk and cream into the creamed mixture. Pour batter into ring mold.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Remove from pan, and allow to cool.
- In a clean, cold bowl, beat the 2 cups whipping cream until peaks form. Stir in 1/4 cup sugar and coffee powder. Frost the cake with whipped cream. When serving, drizzle cake with a few drops of cognac.