This recipe is from an early 80's issue of Bon Appetit. It's definitely one of my favorites.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- fresh ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup sharp Dijon mustard
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 5 phyllo pastry sheets (about 16-inch x 13-inch)
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup fresh breadcrumb, toasted (I use the regular store bought crumbs)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1Cut chicken into 1" strips. Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Add to pan and saute until strips are no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Do not overcook. Transfer to platter; keep warm.
- 2Add mustard to skillet, scraping up any browned bits clinging to bottom of pan. Whisk in cream and mustard, blending thoroughly. Reduce heat to low and simmer until sauce is slightly thickened and reduced by 1/4. Stir in any juices from chicken, and cook until slightly reduced. Strain sauce over chicken pieces, tossing to coat completely.
- 3Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Lay 1 sheet of phyllo on dry dish towel (keep the rest of the dough covered with a damp towel to prevent drying). Brush liberally with melted butter, then sprinkle with 1 tablespoon crumbs. Repeat 3 times. Top with last sheet of phyllo pastry, brushing only the border with melted butter.
- 4Arrange chicken over bottom third of long side of dough, leaving 2 inch border on all sides. Turn up bottom edge then fold in sides, partially enclosing chicken. Roll up jelly roll fashion. Carefully place seam side down on ungreased baking sheet.
- 5Beat egg with water and use to glaze dough. Bake until phyllo is crisp and golden brown, about 12-15 minutes. Cut into 2 inch slices. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Poulet Dijonnaise in Phyllo
Serving Size: 1 (226 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 700.9
- Calories from Fat 570
- Total Fat 63.4 g
- Saturated Fat 38.4 g
- Cholesterol 259.5 mg
- Sodium 427.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 19.1 g