Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I am posting this for the Zaar World Tour II. I have not tried this. It is compliments of http://frenchfood.about.com
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- 3⁄4 cup superfine sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
FOR THE SAUCE
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream the shortening and sugar in a medium bowl.
- Add the egg and mix well.
- In another bowl, mix the flour, salt and baking powder.
- Add the flour alternating with the milk to the sugar mixture.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- For the sauce:.
- In a sauce, add the brown sugar, water, butter (and nuts, if using) and boil for 8 minutes.
- Pour the batter into a loaf pan and pour the hot sauce on top of the batter.
- Bake in the oven for about 35-40 minutes.
- A toothpick should come out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake.
- To serve:.
- Cool slightly and serve with ice cream.