Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a new version of Shepherd's Pie. You could even substitute Tater Tots in place of the mashed potatoes. The flavors in this easy casserole are teen favorites--a great one for them to make for the family. Throw in a nice green veggie or sald and you have a comforting family dinner.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper (optional)
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can sloppy joe sandwich sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups green giant niblets frozen corn
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder or 1⁄2 teaspoon pre minced garlic
- 2 cups instant mashed potatoes (see note in prep area)
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 325°F
- In large skillet, brown ground beef, onion and bell pepper over medium-high heat until beef is thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently. Drain.
- Add sandwich sauce and corn; mix well. Reduce heat; simmer 4 to 6 minutes or until thoroughly heated and corn is crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile***, in medium saucepan, bring water and garlic salt to a boil.
- Remove saucepan from heat; stir in potato flakes until well blended.
- You could use leftover mashed potatoes here.
- Add sour cream and egg; mix well.
- Spoon beef mixture into ungreased shallow 2-quart casserole.
- Spoon potato mixture in circle around edges of casserole.
- Sprinkle potatoes with cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until potatoes are set.
- If desired, sprinkle potatoes with chopped fresh parsley.