Nana Lee's Note:
This is a new version of Shepherd's Pie. You could even substitute Tater Tots in place of the mashed potatoes. The flavors in this easy casserole are teen favorites--a great one for them to make for the family. Throw in a nice green veggie or sald and you have a comforting family dinner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper (optional)
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can sloppy joe sandwich sauce
- 1 1/2 cups green giant niblets frozen corn
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or 1/2 teaspoon pre minced garlic
- 2 cups instant mashed potatoes (see note in prep area)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1Heat oven to 325°F
- 2In large skillet, brown ground beef, onion and bell pepper over medium-high heat until beef is thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently. Drain.
- 3Add sandwich sauce and corn; mix well. Reduce heat; simmer 4 to 6 minutes or until thoroughly heated and corn is crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
- 4Meanwhile***, in medium saucepan, bring water and garlic salt to a boil.
- 5Remove saucepan from heat; stir in potato flakes until well blended.
- 7You could use leftover mashed potatoes here.
- 8Add sour cream and egg; mix well.
- 9Spoon beef mixture into ungreased shallow 2-quart casserole.
- 10Spoon potato mixture in circle around edges of casserole.
- 11Sprinkle potatoes with cheese.
- 12Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until potatoes are set.
- 13If desired, sprinkle potatoes with chopped fresh parsley.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato-Topped Sloppy Joe Casserole - P
Serving Size: 1 (404 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 453.9
- Calories from Fat 187
- Total Fat 20.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 147.7 mg
- Sodium 218.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 32.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sloppy joe sandwich sauce