Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From “North African Cooking” by Hilaire Walden. Serve it as a substantial snack, or a light lunch accompanied by a green salad. It is good eaten cold as well as warm, and makes a wonderful picnic food. See my Hreesa/Harissa (Red Pepper Spice)
- Cook the potatoes in a pan of boiling water until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan and fry the onion, until soft and lightly browned.
- Stir in the garlic and cook, stirring until fragrant.
- Drain the potatoes and return to the saucepan.
- Over low heat, mash the potatoes, then stir in the onions and garlic. Remove from heat.
- In a mixing bowl, lightly wihisk the eggs with the harissa, herbs and salt. Gradually beat the egg mixture into the potatoes.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large heavy frying pan, add the egg and potato mixture and cook over a very low heat until the bottom has set.
- Brown the top under a hot broiler.