Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
From Country Living Magazine. Light and fluffy-these rolls would be perfect for the Thanksgiving meal.
- 1 large idaho russet potato, peeled and quartered (10 ounces)
- 1 cup cold low-fat buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 5 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour
- PREPARING THE DOUGH: Lightly coat a large bowl with vegetable oil and set aside.
- Place the peeled potatoes and 1 1/2 cups water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring the water to a boil and cook the potatoes until they are easily pierced with a fork -- about 15 minutes. **Important:Drain but reserve the cooking liquid.
- Mash the potato and 3/4 cups of the cooking water in a large bowl. Stir in buttermilk, butter, sugar and salt; cool to room temperature. Add the yeast and stir to dissolve. Stir in the flour until a stiff dough forms.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth and elastic; about 10 minutes. Shape the dough into a ball, place it in the prepared bowl, cover with a clean damp towel and let rise until doubled in volume for about 1 hour.
- SHAPING THE DOUGH: Preheat oven to 375° degrees. Lightly coat the cups of two 12-cup muffin pans with oil and set aside.
- Next punch the risen dough down, remove from bowl and knead the dough lightly on a floured surface. Divide the dough into 60 uniform pieces and form each into a small ball. Place 3 balls in each muffin cup, cover with a damp clean towel, and let dough rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Bake until the tops of the clover rolls are golden brown; approximately 30 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Very tasty. I made a double batch, and ended up with 4 dozen cloverleaf rolls and a dozen pan rolls. My cooking water was 1/4 cup short so I added an egg - I think the extra richness from the egg added a lot. The rolls have an excellent flavor from the buttermilk and the potato.
Lovely flavor and easy to make. Well worth the time and effort. Made for X-tra Hot Dishes.