1 hr 10 mins
This recipe requires some time and effort but I think it is so worth it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 medium yukon gold potatoes (2.5 lbs.)
- 1 large butternut squash (2 lb.)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded gruyere cheese
- 1To make Cream Sauce: melt butter in a saucepan over low heat.
- 2Add in flour and whisk until smooth.
- 3Cook and whisk continuously for 1 minute.
- 4Gradually whisk in the milk and wine.
- 5Cook over medium heat and whisk continuously until the mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- 6Add in salt and stir.
- 7To make Gratin: Peel and slice the potatoes thinly.
- 8Peel, seed, and slice thinly the squash.
- 9Cook the potatoes in a large pot with boiling water to cover for 5 minutes.
- 10Add the squash, cover and cook 3 more minutes.
- 11Take off of heat and drain well.
- 12Melt the butter in a large skillet; cook and stir the onion for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- 13In a greased 13x9 inch baking dish, layer half the potato/squash mixture.
- 14Sprinkle with half the salt and pepper.
- 15Layer with half the onion mixture, cheese, and Cream Sauce.
- 16Repeat layers ending with Cream Sauce.
- 17Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until golden brown.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato-Butternut Squash-and-Gruyere Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (423 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 438.7
- Calories from Fat 184
- Total Fat 20.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.3 g
- Cholesterol 63.2 mg
- Sodium 565.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 14.6 g