Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A nice deviation from the cheddar gratins.
- 4 lbs medium boiling potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 7 ounces finely grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices with a knife or an adjustable-blade slicer, spreading slices out on a large kitchen towel. Sprinkle with sea salt (1 1/2 teaspoons).
- Stir together cream and milk.
- Dot bottom of a 3-quart shallow baking dish (13 by 9 inches) with half of butter and pour in 1/3 cup cream mixture. Without rinsing or drying potatoes, divide into 5 piles. Layer potatoes in baking dish, 1 pile per layer, spreading 1/3 cup cream mixture and one fourth of cheese between layers. Drizzle remaining cream mixture over potatoes and dot with remaining butter.
- Bake, uncovered, until potatoes are very tender and top is browned, about 2 hours. Let stand at room temperature 10 minutes before serving.
This is a great potato gratin recipe and loved the switch to using parmesan cheese!! I also loved the salting of the potatoes prior to the layering. Next time I would add some black pepper to the seasoning and cut back on the baking time. Mine got a little too browned when I checked on them at about 1 hour 45 minutes. But overall a great switch from the norm!! Made for Holiday Tag!!!
Made this for dinner tonight. Delicious! Easy to put together and so flavorful! I cut the calorie count down a little by using skim milk and fat free half and half. Still great! I will make this again! Made for Every Day's a Holiday Tag