Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
In 'The Best Recipes in the World' by Mark Bittman; France
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1 lb carrot, roughly chopped (or grated)
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and roughly chopped (or grated)
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 5 cups chicken stock (preferably homemade) or 5 cups vegetable stock (preferably homemade)
- 1⁄2 cup creme fraiche or 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh chervil or 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the shallots, carrots, potato, salt, pepper, and sugar, and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes, until the carrots begin to break down.
- Add the stock, raise the heat to high, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Turn the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Using a food mill, an immersion blender, or an upright blender, puree the mixture until smooth, working in batches if necessary (be careful, mixture is hot).
- To serve hot, reheat the soup in the saucepan.
- To serve it cold, refrigerate, covered, for at least 2 hours.
- Stir in the creme fraiche, then garnish with the chervil and serve.