Recipe by Kathy Sterling
The ultimate comfort food, this roast and gravy is our families favorite special dish. I always use sirloin tip roast, it is flavorful and tender. Serve with mashed potatoes or over rice, somtimes my family has both.
- 3 lbs sirloin tip roast
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (1 ounce) packages Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 4 -8 cups water
- 4 tablespoons Kitchen Bouquet, may need more for darker gravy
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Rub Salt and Pepper into roast.
- In a large dutch oven pot, brown the roast in the cooking oil until all sides are light brown.
- Pour Lipton Onion Soup Mix over top of roast.
- Add 5 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down and simmer roast until tender, about 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- Check roast often, about every 30 minutes to make sure there is plenty of water, as the water cooks down, add more.
- When roast is falling apart, remove to a serving platter and turn off heat.
- In a large glass add flour and fill with about 3/4 cup cold water to make a paste consistency.
- Stir flour and water mixture with a fork until very smooth with no lumps.
- Slowly pour the flour paste into the pot of water that the roast was cooked inches
- Stir well and bring to a slow boil, simmer until the gravy thickens.
- If gravy is not thick enough, add more paste.
- If gravy is too thick, add water.
- Add desired amount of Kitchen Bouquet to darken gravy.
- I put the roast back in the pot of gravy and serve it together. You may want to serve the gravy on the side.