Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This Portuguese chicken dish is one of my dad's favorite.
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 8-10 pieces (or use all breasts)
- 1 tomatoes, peeled and diced (optional)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 14.79 ml paprika
- 4.92 ml salt (or to taste)
- 1.23 ml black pepper (or to taste)
- 2.46 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml ketchup
- 118.29 ml white wine
- 0.25 ml piri piri hot sauce
- olive oil
- 10 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into small chunks
- In a large pot heat the oil then saute the onions for a few minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- To the pot, add the spices, tomato (if using), wine and the chicken pieces. Cook slowly over medium heat.
- When the chicken is almost cooked, add the carrots and potatoes and enough water to almost cover the chicken.
- Cook until potatoes and carrots are cooked, adding more water as needed. Pour the sauce over the meat and potatoes when serving.