Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This Portuguese chicken dish is one of my dad's favorite.
Make and share this Portuguese Stewed Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 8-10 pieces (or use all breasts)
- 1 tomatoes, peeled and diced (optional)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 dash piri piri hot sauce
- olive oil
- 10 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into small chunks
- In a large pot heat the oil then saute the onions for a few minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- To the pot, add the spices, tomato (if using), wine and the chicken pieces. Cook slowly over medium heat.
- When the chicken is almost cooked, add the carrots and potatoes and enough water to almost cover the chicken.
- Cook until potatoes and carrots are cooked, adding more water as needed. Pour the sauce over the meat and potatoes when serving.