Prep 2 hrs
Cook 15 mins
- 1 ounce yeast
- 1⁄2 cup water, lukewarm
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 10 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons shortening
- The food.com website won't let me list 1 package of yeast, so make note here before you begin.
- Add the sugar to the lukewarm water and then add yeast. Mix well in a 1 cup glas measuring cup and set aside.
- While yeast rises, put the milk and water (3 cups total) into a pan and scald it. (Look up how to scald milk on youtube -- ).
- Cool the scalded milk mixture in the freezer until luke warm. When this is done, the yeast will be ready as well.
- Pre-heat the Oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine yeast mixture, flour and scalded milk into a dough mixer for about 10 minutes on low to medium speed, until dough transforms into a ball and sticks to the hook. If your mixture is to wet after about 7 minutes, add flour 1 table spoon at a time until it has become very cohesive.
- Pull mixing hook out of bowl and cover with a towel for about 10 minutes.
- Once risen, put hook back into bowl and turn on again on medium for another 10 minutes.
- In a very large glass bowl, pour water in about 1/3 full of hot water.
- In a slightly smaller bowl that will fit inside the larger bowl, grease this bowl, put dough inches Flip the dough over so that the shortening gets onto both sides of the dough.
- Cover with a slightly damp smooth cloth and let rise for about 1 hour.
- On floured board take pieces of the dough about 1/3 cup for each roll. This recipe will make roughly 2 dozen rolls if mixed at the full capacity, so you can also just lay out the dough and cut into 24 pieces, then shape as described below.
- Shape into round balls, and then press the side of your hand down across the balls to make the split roll shape. Once you have created this impression, pick up the dough, bringing the sides together, and place upside down onto a smooth cloth.
- Let rolls rest for 5 minutes.
- Place rolls on baking sheet with open side up, and brush with milk.
- Bake in preheated 450F oven for 16 minutes. Adjust up or down as appropriate for your oven. The rolls should have a very light brown look on top when done. (See picture).
poor recipe! 10 cups of flower is way to much for the amount of liquid. poor directions. lots of mistakes. At no point does it call for the margarine even though its in the ingredients list. i strongly recommend finding another recipe.
This is awful, horrible measurements and ingredients missing out of preparation........