Make and share this Portuguese Red Bean Soup recipe from Food.com.
- Finely chop all vegetables including tomatoes and potato. Drain soaked beans, discarding liquid.
- In a medium pot, add olive oil and butter.
- When oil is hot, add chopped carrot, onion, celery, tomatoes. Saute, but do not brown. Add chopped potato, paprika, and chicken stock.
- When this reaches a boil, add kidney beans and turn down heat to a simmer. Add tomato paste .
- Let cook 45-60 minutes, stirring occasionally. When beans are soft to the touch add sausage and cayenne pepper.
- Season to taste.
This is a great recipe. It's got tons of flavor, inexpensive ingredients, and it was very easy to make. I followed the other reviewers and used canned tomatoes and canned beans. I will be making this again for sure!
This soup is delicious. I used a can of petite diced tomatos instead of fresh tomatos and 8 cups of water instead of stock. Did everything else as directed. Thank you for sharing.