Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
After having this potato based kale soup at a local portuguese restaurant, I was able to recreate it with great results. My husband swears it's better than theirs and it remains a favorite in my recipe collection.
- 8 cups water
- 5 large russet potatoes (peeled and quartered)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 3 -4 garlic cloves (diced)
- 1⁄4 lb stick of good quality portuguese linguica sausage
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt (or to taste)
- 2 -3 cups kale (cut chiffonnade method-approx. 2-inch length)
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- In a 4 quart stockpot, combine water, potatoes, onion, garlic, and linguica.
- Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium/low, season with salt and simmer until the potatoes are very tender, 20-30 minutes.
- Cut heat, remove linguica, cut into small pieces and set aside. Puree contents of the soup to a smooth consistency and return to a boil.
- Add the prepared kale, linguica pieces and olive oil. Simmer until the kale is bright green and tender, but not mushy, approximately 5 minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread and salad.
A velvety, filling soup.....We used turkey broth, cooked kale from the freezer and hot italian sausage - definitely a repeater!!