Judy Lyne's Note:
After having this potato based kale soup at a local portuguese restaurant, I was able to recreate it with great results. My husband swears it's better than theirs and it remains a favorite in my recipe collection.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 cups water
- 5 large russet potatoes (peeled and quartered)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 3 -4 garlic cloves (diced)
- 1/4 lb stick of good quality portuguese linguica sausage
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt (or to taste)
- 2 -3 cups kale (cut chiffonnade method-approx. 2-inch length)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1In a 4 quart stockpot, combine water, potatoes, onion, garlic, and linguica.
- 2Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium/low, season with salt and simmer until the potatoes are very tender, 20-30 minutes.
- 3Cut heat, remove linguica, cut into small pieces and set aside. Puree contents of the soup to a smooth consistency and return to a boil.
- 4Add the prepared kale, linguica pieces and olive oil. Simmer until the kale is bright green and tender, but not mushy, approximately 5 minutes.
- 5Serve with crusty bread and salad.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Portuguese Green Soup (Caldo Verde)
Serving Size: 1 (508 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 337.0
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1201.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 7.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: