Prep 2 hrs
Cook 10 mins
From the "Smokin" cookbook. With some boiled rice, this dish becomes a meal. The 'roast' is done entirely on top of the stove. This recipe is made using a stove top smoker.
- 3 links smoked italian hot sausage
- 2 dozen littleneck clams
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal or 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- Smoke the sausages-see related recipe. The sausages can be smoked up to 1 day in advance, wrapped in plastic, and stored in the refrigerator. For the recipe, slice 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Scrub the clams under cold running water to remove as much sand and dirt as possible. Fill a medium bowl with enough cold water to cover the clams. Stir in the cornmeal. Add the clams and swish them around a bit. Refrigerate the clams in the water for 2 hours, swishing.
- two or three times.
- Drain the clams thoroughly in a colander. Heat the oil in a 5 or 6 quart Dutch oven or heavy.
- pot. Stir in the onions and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until the onions are softened and
- lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Stir in the sliced sausages and cook until heated through,.
- about 2 minutes. Pour in the wine, increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Cook until reduced by about half. Add the clams. Cover the pot and cook, shaking the pot occasionally,.
- just until the clams open, about 6 minutes. Scatter the parsley over the clams and serve.
- immediately, either from the pot or spooned into warm bowls.